Sunday, December 9, 2007

#11 (week 5)

Hah! Something I knew... that I kept meaning to go and check out in more depth... so now I have...

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/charlie2-0

Oh well. Still no time or access to actually catalogue the thousands of books, DVDs, CDs, videos etc that I have, but now I know that if I ever:

1) do have them all in one place (as opposed to stored with rellies, boxed up under the spare bed, and stacked over every flat surface, including most of the floor, of the study, as well as being crammed into an awful lot of shelves and drawers...) &

2) have a computer at home &

3) experience broadband as it's advertised (touted) to be in a home environment &

4) have the time &

5) have the energy

I can finally get started on the dream job of a lifetime. Yes, I am officially the traditional Librarian Geek (in contrast to the modern, e-concerned Librarian Geek) - (one of) my dream job(s) would be to create a catalogue of *my own* well loved and appreciated multi-format information holdings, and arrange and properly house it all.

Of course, as the traditional Librarian, I don't actually have an income big enough to allow me to invest in the size of building this would require. Because, naturally, the more space I have, the more I can fill - and so the less $ I have because I used it to acquire filling for all those glorious storage places - shelves, cabinets, corners, and more - so even retirement, which sorts the get-time&energy thing, wouldn't help...

Now I'm depressed...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

exactly! at least you know it's out there.. :)