Tuesday, December 11, 2007

#14 (week 6)

I spent a lot of time looking and playing, and I'm still unable to get away from my minimal to non-existent interest in blogs, and what people are raving on about on whatever e-channel they are using.

I understand the concept of tags and tag structure, and the search capacity it allows - but can't think of a reason for searching for blogs. I don't think I lack lateral thinking skills, or the capacity to expand my worldview or experience. I think I just don't want to read something in a blog - or even in a blog format.

I obviously don't lack prejudice either, because I don't see the blogosphere as offering reliable, authoritative, effectively organised information that I can rely on or use. I feel this way about the small or the large. If I need (or even want) to know what the definition of a word is, I'll go to the Oxford - accessing it on paper or electronically not being the issue - and if I want to research a topic I'll access databases of articles that include material from reputable peer reviewed journals.

If I'm just curious, I'll entertain myself on the web, and so won't look just for blog-disseminated material, but will search in a wider way, as it were.

I was actually quite dismayed by the kinds of things I saw on the posts I pulled up when I searched blogs on Technorati. It's not to say that people don't have interesting, worthwhile an accurate things to say, but rather the way that many postings or comments seemed to indicate no critical assessment or filter had been applied to the veracity or value or accuracy of the information etc under discussion.

Most interesting exercise in how a completely different from me sector of the world population live/act/think/behave/interact....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is certainly lots of rubbish out there, but blogs are still in their infancy and there are some great sites out there that are really informative and an easy way to ask questions